TPE (The Photographer’s Ephemeris), an invaluable free tool for landscape and seascape photography.
Many of us enjoy landscape and seascape photography. Invariably the best time to photograph is sunrise or sunset so it is really useful to know in advance the time of the sunrise/sunset. It’s also useful to know the sun’s azimuth (angle) at these times. In some situations it also helps to know this for the moon as well as the moon’s phase.
Some of TPE’s great features:
- Calculates sunrise/sunset times and azimuth for a particular day
- Calculates moonrise/moonset times and azimuth
- Overlays the sun/moon azimuth onto a Google map
- Change time of day and watch sun/moon position change on the Google map
- Also calculates civil, nautical, and astronomical twilight times
- Quickly jump to any date in the past or future
- Saves a list of your personal favourite locations
TPE integrates with Google Maps, so you can see the sun/moon positions on top of a topographical map.
The sample at the top of this post is for Balmoral Beach tomorrow, December 16th 2011. Click on the thumbnail to see a larger version.
The program is free for your PC or Mac. Download it here.